Fire destroys St. Jude Catholic Church’s social hall

Posted & filed under News.

A massive fire in the early morning hours of Thursday morning left the social hall of a local church charred beyond repair.

Firefighting crews from Mineral and Louisa responded to a blaze at St. Jude Church on Davis Highway at 1:47 a.m. on Thursday. Firefighters from Trevilians also assisted in fighting the fire as well.

No one was hurt, though church officials said the building is likely damaged beyond repair. Church officials declined to comment on how much the damage will cost.

According to Louisa County Captain of Fire Prevention and Training Michael Schlemmer, the fire started in the bathroom of the facility. Schlemmer said emergency officials suspected the fire started due to an electrical malfunction.