Investigators determine deadly fire in Suffolk accidental

Posted & filed under News.

SUFFOLK — The Fire Marshal’s Office said a fire that killed 47-year-old Joseph Booth early Sunday began accidentally.

Crews got to the home in the 200 block of North Division Street just after 3:30 a.m. and found heavy smoke coming from the back of the house. Firefighters heard several small explosions coming from a motor bike and the propane tank of a grill.

Once they were able to get into the house, they found Booth dead in a bedroom on the second floor.

“We just thank God that he didn’t burn up unrecognizable, and if he went in his sleep, peacefully, we thank God for that also, that he didn’t suffer,” said Earl Boone, Booth’s older brother.