SUFFOLK, Va. (WAVY) — Suffolk firefighters put out a small fire at a home for special needs adults in the Olde Towne neighborhood Wednesday night.
Just before 8 p.m., Suffolk Fire & Rescue units were dispatched to an alarm in the 400 block of Finney Avenue, according to city spokeswoman Diana Klink.
At the scene, firefighters found heavy smoke on the second floor of a two-story residence operated by the Western Tidewater Services Board. The 12 residents and additional staff had evacuated before fire crews got there, but two staff members were taken to Sentera Obici Hospital for treatment.
Klink said the fire was contained to a dryer. It was extinguished by 9:06 p.m., and the damage was limited to the laundry area. Firefighters ventilated the building, but residents were displaced for the night.
Klink said the residents were put up in a hotel and are expected to return to the downtown Suffolk residence on Thursday.