No Injuries in Radford University Dorm Fire

Posted & filed under News.

A fire broke out in an elevator shaft of a Radford University dormitory Monday afternoon, but school officials said the blaze was quickly contained and no one was injured.

Crews from the Radford Fire Department responded about 3:20 p.m. to Muse Hall, according to spokesman Joe Carpenter.

“They isolated it and were able to extinguish the fire,” Carpenter said. “It was in the east wing.”

The entire building was evacuated, which amounted to 869 students, he said. They were allowed back inside just before 4:30 p.m.

The east wing houses 120 students and Carpenter said only “a handful of people” had to be displaced for a few hours, and all students were able to get back into their rooms Monday night.