Virginia Department of Fire Programs (VDFP)
State Fire Marshal
Position Number 00047
Hiring Range: Commensurate
This position is open to the general public and will remain open through 11:59 EST Tuesday,
July 30, 2019.
The Virginia Department of fire Programs is seeking a qualified candidate to serve as State Fire Marshal to serve as the subject matter expert and fire prevention and protection advocate for the Commonwealth, nationally and throughout the state and to provide leadership statewide on fire prevention safety and fire protection issues, to promote uniformity of code application statewide, and to organize, direct, and control the management [within the context of the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code (USBC) and Virginia Statewide Fire Prevention Code (VSFPC)] of the following inspection and enforcement programs through the Headquarters and Regional State Fire Marshal’s Offices: the VSFPC Inspection and enforcement program, VUSBC for State buildings, Life Safety Code for Health Care Facilities, Home for Adults Inspection Program, and Explosives and Fireworks Programs for the primary purpose of ensuring the safety of the Virginia’s residents and workforce.
- Comprehensive knowledge and demonstrated ability in developing and managing diverse and complex statewide programs to provide safety to life and property.
- Extensive knowledge of budget management and stewardship, including fiscal responsibilities and procurement policies and procedures.
- Comprehensive knowledge and demonstrated ability in managing, planning, directing, and supervising a diverse regionally based professional staff.
- Comprehensive knowledge of personnel policies including hiring, evaluating, disciplinary and training practices.
- Extensive experience in working with inter and intra state fire service organizations, building code organizations, design professionals and code development organizations to resolve safety issues and develop guidelines and regulations to protect the safety and welfare of the citizens of this Commonwealth.
- Comprehensive knowledge of complex clientele served and their needs.
- Demonstrated ability to negotiate sensitive issues and make formal complex, technical presentations to organizations, professional groups, local, state and federal legislators nationwide.
- Comprehensive knowledge of the administration and enforcement of federal and state building and fire safety related regulations including: the Virginia USBC, the Virginia SFPC, the NFPA Life Safety Code, the Virginia Industrialized Building Regulations, and all referenced model codes and standards, including principles of building and fire protection design, construction, and engineering.
- Extensive ability to evaluate detailed engineered performance-based designs, equivalency proposals, specifications and engineered plans.
- Extensive ability to inspect, interpret, research and cross-reference multiple codes such as the ICC Code and referenced standards and the Life Safety Code and referenced Standards.
- Demonstrated ability to:
- Research, organize, write, and publish technical material.
- Design and conduct training workshops.
- Read, interpret and apply state and federal mandates, legal opinions and regulations.
- Operate windows based PC and corresponding software to manage program data and produce reports.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing. Strong interpersonal skills.
- Graduation from college with a bachelor’s degree in related engineering discipline including fire protection engineering and fire protection engineering technology, fire safety, fire science, building construction or architecture.
- Prefer Master’s Degree in Public Administration, Business Administration/ Management or related Building Industry Field.
- Combination of training and related experience will be considered in lieu of a degree.
- Require Certified Building Official within 1.5 years of employment.
- Certification of Basic Life Safety Code Surveyor Training by U.S. Department of Health and Human Services desirable but not required.
Registration as Professional Engineer or Architect desirable but not required.